Search engine optimization is today the most important part of any organisation’s online reputation and it is necessary for everyone who manages a website, to understand the true meaning of SEO as well as the potential it creates for every business.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization or SEO in short, is a set of rules for optimizing a website for search engines and improve the search engine rankings for the website.
In addition, it is an ideal way to improve the quality of your website by making it user friendly, easier to navigate and faster.
SEO can also be considered as a framework since the whole process has a number of rules, a number of stages and a set of controls.
Why is SEO important?
In today’s cut throat competition online, SEO is more important than ever.
Search engines serve millions of users everyday looking for answers to their queries or for solutions to their problems.
Search engine optimization is important because:
- The majority of search engines users are more likely to click on one of the top 5 listings in the results pages (SERP). To take advantage of this and gain visitors to your website or customers to your online store, your website needs to appear in one of the top positions.
- SEO is not only about search engines but good SEO practices improve the user experience and usability of your website.
- Users trust search engines and having a presence in the top positions for the keywords the user is searching, increases the website’s credibility.
- SEO is good for the social promotion of your website. People who find your website by searching Google or Yahoo are more likely to promote it on Facebook, Twitter or other social media channels.
- SEO is important for the smooth running of a bigger website. Websites with more than one author can benefit from SEO in a direct and indirect way. Their direct benefit is increase in search engine traffic and their indirect benefit is having a common framework (checklists) to use before publishing content on the site.
- SEO can put you ahead of the competition. If two websites are selling the same thing, the search engine optimized web site is more likely to have more customers and make more sales.
To understand SEO in detail and to learn it to implement for your website, keep following this space.
In the next article we will learn the SEO in simple terms for the first time learners of SEO.